I'VE MOVED... SO, PLEASE JOIN ME AT MY NEW WEBSITE creationsbyar.com ~ Thank you, AR

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Stamping on a Canvas Tote-My Tutorial

Maybe I'm just plain lazy, but when it comes to techniques, I'd rather try to figure things out myself than to look it up online somewhere and read someone else's instructions. That is the reason for my title: "My Tutorial."

One of the sweetest, most loving little girl in the world (and big sister to Riley -- remember the cute little boy from last month?) was having a 6th birthday party on the 19th, and I thought I'd make her a little tote to put some of her gifts in. This basic canvas tote was perfect to hold art supplies for a budding artist like herself. Before I began stamping on the canvas, I wanted to add a photo to it to make it more personalized. After picking out a picture of her and resizing it, I was ready to print it onto a transfer sheet (you can find these where printer labels are sold). After ironing onto the fabric (instructions are easy to follow), then you're ready to begin stamping...

SUPPLIES
Stamp: Quirky Alphabet by Molly Stamps
Ink: Copic Marker or Fabric Marker, Watercolor Crayons (SU!)
Acc: Rose Red Double-Stitched Ribbon, Clear Button, Rub Ons: Love and Happiness, Cherished Memories (SU!), Heat n Bond Iron-On Adhesive, Water Spritzer, Ruler


Place a cardboard or plastic sheet to line the inside of the tote to protect it in case of a bleed through.
Starting with the middle letter of the name, either stamp the letter on a very damp folded paper towel or spritz the stamp with the water spritzer. Take the watercolor crayon and write over the stamp. If it's too dry, add more water; if it's too wet, soak up the excess with a paper towel.


If needed, use a ruler to help keep your letters straight and even.
Before stamping onto the canvas, check to make sure the stamp is still wet, if it has become dry, spritz a little water on it then stamp the letter on the center of the canvas. Don't worry if the letter is faded, as long as it's visible enough.

Next step is to color in the stamped letter. On my project, I used Copics to color in my letters, but Fabric Markers should work just as well. (I use Fabric Marker on my girls' t-shirts all the time and it works great!)
Repeat with all letters until done.



At this point, you can decorate the tote any way you'd like. I decided to add a matching ribbon and a bow. On the bow, I decided to add a clear button and used rub-ons to add a little bit of "character" to it. Those rub-ons are fun, if you've never tried them before.



TIP: I found it very easy to use an iron-on fabric adhesive, Heat n Bond, to attach the ribbon. Just follow the instructions on the package and within five minutes, I had a nice border.

Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

7 comments:

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

OK, you are so so smart! Look how cute and fun this is! I love it !!!!! She will adore it. Great idea and such an easy tutorial to follow!!! Thank you Adela. Your ideas are always amazing and so creative, not to mention beautiful!

Courtney said...

AAAkkkk! How stinkin' cute! TFS!

Anonymous said...

Probably could sew the ribbon on around the top of tote.

Katie Cotton said...

super cute! Jack's canvas bag was just written on with sharpie. hahahaha.

FWmom said...

hi
i love your creations!
i just wanted to let you know that i am adding you on to my blog on my side bar. I have visited you before, but i would like to visit more often, so its just easier if your on there. is this okay with you?
-ronnie

Caro's Kaartjes said...

You are so creative!
What a great idea!
Lovely tote!

greetz from overseas.

Niki Estes said...

Cute bag and great tutorial, Adela! I love the button! I tagged you on my blog. Hope you had a great weekend!