I'VE MOVED... SO, PLEASE JOIN ME AT MY NEW WEBSITE creationsbyar.com ~ Thank you, AR

Saturday, May 16, 2009

You Are My Sunshine

Around my house, the girls and I are anxiously awaiting the end of the school year, and it can't come soon enough! Everything around us tells us summer is already here, except for that alarm that wakes us up at 6:15 in the morning!  Ugh!  We're just not morning people... at least, I'm not.

Here is a very easy and simple project that I made with the Match Box Sizzix die using the new Out of This World stamp set by Molly Stamps! I love this friendly looking sun from that set. That look on his face is how I'll feel when I won't have to hear my alarm clock in the early mornings!

To make the cover for the match box, I simply stamped Mr. Sun onto a piece of acetate using StazOn and centered him where I wanted him to be before cutting the piece. Score and fold -- use the bone folder to help keep that fold nice and neat -- and secure with two mini glue dots on the end corners.

As a simple embellishment, I stamped "you're my sunshine" and punched them out with the window punch Hold the left ends on top of each other and punch a 1/8" hole through both thicknesses; set aside. Wrap natural hemp around the width of the box and knot once. Put one end of the hemp through the 1/8" holes of the tag and tie a bow. With each loose tie ends, pull through each button holes and tie two knots to secure. Fill the box with yellow candies (like Jelly Beans -- I used yummy lemon drops!) and slide close.

I showed this to my younger daughter and she loved it! She wanted to know if she could give it to one of her BFFs. They take Spanish class together and they like to sing the song, "You Are My Sunshine" in Spanish... very cute, because the words they didn't know in Spanish they kept in English, which were most of them.

6 comments:

Gabriela said...

This is just precious! Thanks so much for the wonderful tip on scoring and folding the acetate to create the slide-on cover! I love it!

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

OK, Now how CUTE is that?!?! I am in love! my jaws even ache looking at it, thinking about the candy (one of my favorites as a child. I would bite off the sour part then eat the white sugary ball inside :) lol!) I have missed chatting with you. I have had little time for anything other than looking and posting as of latley. hannah is getting better so i am hoping for a big turnaround soon. I miss ya! I am watching 'you've got mail' alone thinkng about you :) sigh. have a wonderful night my sweet friend.

neverenoughrubberstamps said...

What a very creative idea!
Loooooove this!
Thank you for sharing!

Cheers,

Dorothy

Kim said...

Adela that is fabulous!!! What a fun project and I LOVE the sunshine!!!! AMAZING! I am so not a morning person either so I can so relate to you! And hopefully your girls can hang in there until school is done! I know friday was a fabulous day for me when my last final was DONE! YAY! Now I can get back to blogging and crafting...so much more fun than school! HA HA! Hope you are having a fabulous weekend hun!
Hugs~ Kim

~Lori Roop said...

This is so cute Adela! I love your altered items and 3-d projects!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog! You really have fabulous ideas! Can you tell me where you get the acetate? I live in a small town and I don't think my local scrapbooking store sells it.
-haleydavis06@hotmail.com (I don't have a login . . . LOL)