I'VE MOVED... SO, PLEASE JOIN ME AT MY NEW WEBSITE creationsbyar.com ~ Thank you, AR

Sunday, May 11, 2008

"Ultimate" Card Gift Set

I've been wanting to make this gift set for months now, and since I wanted to get my BFF a gift for Mother's Day and wasn't able to go to the mall because of my migraines (and now vertigo), I thought this was the best time to finally make this set. I wasn't sure what to call this kind of stationery, so for now I'm calling it "Ultimate." Here's the reason for that name -- and I'm not sure if this idea already exists; if it does, can someone please let me know because I'd love to see how the others look.

The idea for this card set is simply this: to always have the appropriate card available for the right occasion. Here's how it works: The set comes with decorated card fronts, but without sentiments. All you do is choose from a variety of pre-stamped self-adhesive labels which are included in the set, attach it to the card front and you've got yourself an original handcrafted card!
The set includes 8 blank note cards, 8 envelopes and 3 mini boxes. Inside the boxes are postage stamps and several self-adhesive sentiments in two different border colors.

I purchased the box purse at Michael's last month for about $2 or $3. It's a wooden box with a bamboo handle and brass hinges and latch. I simply covered the outside with Soft Sky and Close to Cocoa DS paper and 5/8" Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon using Tombow Mono Adhesive. After taking these pictures, I decided to add more embellishments to the front of the box because I thought this one looked too plain. I had added corner elements and my favorite Dew Drops near the round "Always" label. For the inside lining, I used the same coordinating colors. I made the three mini boxes (1-1/2" x 1-1/2") using Chocolate Chip and Soft Sky card stock.

As an afterthought, I decided to rig the box so that when my friend opened the box, it would play a rock song (if you look closely, you can see the opening in the middle where I rigged it on the inside top lid). Okay, the story behind that -- two weeks ago she gave me my birthday present in a gift bag, but not just an ordinary gift bag! It had a flap and when I lifted the flap, a loud rock song played which of course scared me! So, in the spirit of recycling, I took out the mechanism from that gift bag and somehow rigged her stationery box so that when she opened it, the same thing would happen to her. It worked! She called me after opening it and had a great laugh with her son. The only problem, I must not have taped that thing well enough because even when she closed the box, the annoying song kept playing! We had such a good laugh... what are friends for anyway, right?
Thank you for visiting! I hope your weekend was fabulous!

20 comments:

Krista said...

OMG ! This is so adorable !!

Courtney said...

You blow my mind, Adela. What a wonderful, thoughtful gift to give your friend!

And you did all of this while feeling bad! Awww! You are just precious.

Can I come over and play? I could learn a thing or two from you!

Anonymous said...

Adela .. this is just simply stunning and what a thoughtful gift for your friend! Not to mention while you were so unwell yourself - i know how migraines are and its not just the 'having' them its the recovery afterwards as well. Take care of yourself and thanks again for sharing your talent with us

Anonymous said...

Adella: What a charming & beautiful gift.....wish my BFF made me one of these! Not that it is worth EVER having a migraine and prevent one from going to the mall-but....Your end results are FABULOUS! Know your BFF must be LOVING her gift. Hope you are better-and as a fellow migraine suffer-FEEL BETTER-I too have migraines daily and know exactly what your talking about. Thanks for sharing your GREAT project! Kadie

Lisa said...

One word STUNNING.

Kristi said...

WOW< what a great gift, I think I would cry if my friend made this for me...she is very lucky..GREAT job. You are so creative, I dont think I could ever come up with this idea...PERFECT!

Mary Jane said...

Awesome Adela. This is beautiful.

Gina Wrona said...

Absolutely fabulous darling!

(hugs)
Gina

TSCreations said...

Adela,

I love your ideas. You are so darn creative.

What a great gift.

Frenchy said...

What an awesome idea - saw it on splitcoast and I'm no bookmarking your blog. I'm writing this idea down so I don't forget - now I know what to give for Christmas gifts next year!

Anonymous said...

"Ultimate" sounds good to me! And you and your BFF have such a good story to remember together as well. Good Going!

Donna Baker said...

this sure is the ULTIMATE! wow, so impressed, it looks like it would cost a mint in the stores but of course you wouldn't get anything as nice! I saw Taylor VanBruggen did one a little similar for PTI a few months ago.

Unknown said...

Absolutely Fabulous!! What a beautiful job you did - the whole thing is a great idea and beautifully done! :)

Unknown said...

Want to be BFF's?! Love this, love this, love this. Can't stop raving. I'm gong to start a site called "fans of Adela" where we'll all just sit around and discuss how cool you are!

You got Project of the Week over at Card of the Week.com. Check it out -- http://www.cardoftheweek.com/2008/05/card-of-the-w-2.html

Charmaine said...

This is a gorgeous gift set!

Charmaine

Unknown said...

Magnificent!!!

Nicole said...

WOW! beautiful and a wonderful idea!

Lisa H. said...

this is fabulous! absolutley, stunning!

Caro's Kaartjes said...

Isn't this clever! What a nice gift for your friend!
I cannot imagine buying such a lovely box with bamboo handle here in Holland for only $2 or $3!!
You made something amazing with this!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite this lovely and clever. Stunning! Thanks for the fabulous inspiration! :0)