As Mother's Day approaches, memories of my mother come flooding back to me. Many of them are funny, touching, sad, happy... but mostly inspiring. She has taught me to be a Christian and without that, I wouldn't be who I am today. I lost her two years ago so Mother's Day is a very tough time for me, but I managed to make this card in honor of that special day.
Supplies (some are optional, adjust to your preference)
Stamp: All Holidays (SU)
Paper: Whisper White, Certainly Celery DSP, Berry BlissDSP (SU), Vellum
Ink: Regal Rose, Old Olive (SU), Aloe Vera and Pixie Dust (Versa Magic, Tsukineko), StazOn Black
Acc: Crop-a-Dile, Eyelet, Ribbon, Linen Thread, Corner Rounder Punch, Mini Glue Dots, Hobby Blade, Sewing Machine, Spellbinder's Edgibilities Rose DieStart with 4-1/4" x 11" WW card stock and trim one end with the Rose Die. Run thru machine again (I used my Cuttlebug) to emboss. Without taking the card stock out of the die, color in the floral images. I used the Versa Magic chalks because it's easy to use with its pointed corners (and it easily washes off).
*You can substitute by using SU's dry emboss templates or cut a semi circle with scalloped edges.When you take the die off, this is what it will look like.
Score a line right below the embossed image. Then score another line 5" below that. You should have approximate 3-5/8" left. Fold a "Z" along those scored lines.Attach a piece of 4-1/4" x 3-5/8" Certainly Celery DSP to the front of the card, under the embossed flap. Attach a piece of 4-1/4" x 1-3/4" pink patterned paper from Berry Bliss DSP to the exposed upper inner pocket.
Trim the top corners with the corner rounder punch. Using the Crop-a-Dile, attach eyelets to both corners. Run a thin coordinating ribbon thru the eyelet, front to back. I used the Old Olive twill ribbon, about 8" long.Using the Linen Thread, I secured the ribbon ends by tying the thread around them. (I dabbed a little bit of snail adhesive to hold it in place first.) You can leave it as is, finish it another way, or do as I did, which was to attach pearl white Dew Drops on top of the Linen Threads.
To seal the sides, I used my sewing machine. I ran a straight stitch on both sides -- very easy to do. Again, you can substitute and use glue or sticky strip. And if you want the look of stitching, use the piercing tool to punch holes and draw stitch marks connecting the holes.
To hold the flap down, use mini glue dots under the flap.With StazOn, I stamped Happy Mother's Day on vellum paper and heat set it so it wouldn't smear. You can substitute by using regular card stock. I ran white taffeta ribbon around the bottom of the card and inserted it thru two slits that I made on the vellum and then tied a knot.
To make a slit, I used a hobby blade, straight edge and mat. Make a slit wide enough to pass the ribbon thru. The slot punch was just too big and didn't look right, but this slim slit worked perfectly. *You can always skip this step and just adhere a stamped label. I tend to go the difficult route sometimes... oh well.
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Mother's Day Rose Pocket Card & Tutorial
Here's the finished card. I stamped the sentiment on a separate card and attached it to a crochet thread attached to the "handle." You can put a letter, picture or gift card in this pocket card.
at
12:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! TFS.
What a beautiful card! I lost my mother this past December and this will be my first Mother's Day without her. You have inspired me to go ahead and make a card for her and honor her on this special day. THANKS for the awesome card and for your gentle caring spirit. Kadie
Hi Adela, this pocketcard looks amazing, it's really gorgeous !
Beautiful, Adela! Just beautiful!
Adela this is just sooo beautiful - I love what you have done and sharing how you did it - gorgeous. You have been tagged to honey http://www.totallyaddinktive.com/2008/05/trifold-pocket-and-a-tag-or-two/
You definately took my breath away with this one!
Awesome job!
(hugs)
Gina
Post a Comment