I'VE MOVED... SO, PLEASE JOIN ME AT MY NEW WEBSITE creationsbyar.com ~ Thank you, AR

Monday, May 26, 2008

Graduation Cards 2008


Last night I finally started on graduation cards and these two are what I came up with.

The card on the left is for a high school friend who is graduating next month with honors. This can be for either a boy or girl. No stamping involved with this one.
Paper: Summer Sun 5"x10" folded, Really Rust 4-3/4"x4-3/4", Whisper White, Basic Black
Acc: Black Hemp Cord, Dimensionals, Tombow Mono Adhesive, Mini Glue Dots, (optional) Cuttlebug with Script Texture, Nestie 3-5/8" Square (or use another tool), Cricut with Alphalicious Cartridge (or use stamps and cut out), White Galaxy Marker (American Crafts)How To: Cuttlebug on Whisper White (optional). Cut out 3-5/8" square from center of Really Rust c/s. Attach white c/s behind center of Really Rust. Attach the layer to Summer Sun card base. Cut out the letters and numbers on the Cricket machine, or use stamps and cut them out with paper snips. I used Tombow to adhere the year and school initials to the card front. Since I didn't have a stamp of a cap that I liked, I hand drew one on black card stock and outlined it with the white marker. Now, pierce a hole in the center of the cap. For the tassel, I used 1" of the hemp cord, frayed one end, dabbed some Tombow on the other end and inserted it into the center hole. To keep the tassel hanging in the right place, I dabbed a little bit more of the glue on the side of the cap. Attach cap with dimensionals on the upper left corner of the card. For the diploma, roll up a piece of paper tightly, tie a ribbon around it and attach it to the center of the card with mini glue dots.

Tip: I wanted to give money to my friend as a graduation gift, so I rolled up the cash and used that as the "diploma" on the front of the card.

I have to go for now, so I'll post the "How To" for the second card tomorrow.

MEMORIAL DAY TRIBUTE
Before I go, and in honor of Memorial Day, I wanted to share with you the Reader's Digest version of my father's story during WWII. My father, who turned 90 in February, was born in the Philippines and as a teenager, he joined and trained with the US Army. At the time the Japanese invaded the Islands, my father was already a sergeant and had been fighting along with his men. General MacArthur had left for Australia and had given his promise to the soldiers: "I shall return." But during the time that MacArthur was gone and with no support, over 60,000 Filipino and 12,000 American soldiers had no choice but to surrender to the Japanese on April 10 of 1942. On this day, the prisoners "marched" for about 60 miles to their "camps" for several days with little or no food and water. This was known as the very infamous Bataan Death March. My father was one of the very few who survived. It was only five years ago when he finally started to talk of this torturous experience 66 years ago. My husband had video-taped his interview and when my whole family finally saw it, they were shocked! I watched it again yesterday and cried. To see his metals and scars after hearing from his own words what he went through gives a whole new meaning to Memorial Day for me. There are several links online about this Death March, here's one if you'd like to read a little about it.

Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful Memorial Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too few people remember the Bataan Death March. My father was not one of the men involved, but he spoke of it...he was a Flying Tiger during WWII. I have the utmost respect for our military and would very much appreciate it if you would thank your father from me for his sacrifices. I'm so glad to know he was a survivor. Thank you, too, for sharing this part of your family's history with us.
Jo Ann B.
browj40@sbcglobal.net

reeree62 said...

Thank you for sharing that with us. I did not even know about the Bataan Death March. I clicked on the link you provided and was amazed and sickened. Thank God your Dad made it through. God bless him.

UKMUMINUSA said...

I have never heard of the Bataan Death March. I too clicked on your link!!!! Thanks so much for drawing our attention to this, people need to know the sacrifices these brave men made.